Tuesday, January 18, 2011

You never know who is on the other end of the line.

So last night after I wrapped up writing before bed, I start going through my nightly “lock down” of the fort. Alarm is on, doors are all locked, lights out; I put down those darn things that stop the cold air from coming under the door. Then I make sure I grab my cell phone (my alarm clock) before heading up to bed. Now as I start my ascent I notice, yet again, I have stayed up too late writing. “this is going to hurt in the morning”, then mid thought, RIIIIINNNNNNGGGG of the house phone! Oh no, the babies going to wake up! I run to answer it, thinking it’s never good to have a phone ring at 12:20am for people on either end. Panicked, I answer, “Hello?”… nothing. Again, I make a more pronounced hello, maybe they didn’t understand. “Heeeeelllllooooo?”… again nothing.

Now I can hear some rustling on the line, so I’m getting annoyed thinking this might be some boy calling my oldest daughter thinking this is her cell phone, which gets taken every night anyway. So now, I am planning my retaliation call and hang up. I go to see the last call on caller ID and NOOOO, I hit the ring volume and make the phone ring again EVEN louder. Darn new phones! Now after a quick listen to see if the baby is crying yet, its all clear. I find the “CID” button, push it and see the number.

Hmmmm, that’s funny, somehow this diabolical phone mastermind has spoofed my cell phone number and called my house! I check the time, yes, that’s the call that just happened. Well let’s take a look at my cell phone and see if my house number was dialed out, because there is no way they got in here, got my phone and called my house while I am holding the phone! There it is, my home number dialed out…..Man, I just cranked called myself. Now all I have to do is get by the wife without having to admit my buffoonery. I creep in the room and Victory! She is sleeping! None the wiser, so don’t say anything okay?

Thanks for checking in and God Bless!

No comments: