Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bologna on Pennsylvania Avenue…




From the title I know most people are thinking that I might be talking about Bush, the Treasury Departments newly found 700 Billion dollars or maybe the temporary multi Million dollar inaugural parade stands being built along Pennsylvania Avenue. No, I am talking about real processed meat with the little red plastic strip around it.
I work in D.C. next to the White House. So, this morning I’m coming from 14th street going west down Pennsylvania Avenue, freezing as I am walking and listening to a Podcast on my IPod, looking forward to my Starbucks.

Now Pennsylvania Avenue has these 8x8 foot planter box type areas where they have the trees that line the Street, which if anyone has been to the White House or seen pictures of Pennsylvania Avenue you know what I’m talking about. Now as I’m speed walking with my head tucked into my coat I see a full slice of Bologna on top of the monkey grass in the first box on Pennsylvania Avenue, I think ehhh, this is D.C. and keep on walking.


I pass the second box and another piece of Bologna, I think, wow a little early (7am) for the disposal of lunch meat along a street, but I press on. Now I pass the third and fourth and fifth, sixth, seventh boxes and they all have Bologna in them and now I stop to get complete visual confirmation that I am seeing Bologna and it’s not some caffeine withdraw induced hallucination. My suspicion is correct, Bologna. I press on.

Now as I have to dodge the construction of the temporary, multi Million dollar inaugural parade stands, I find myself looking forward to seeing if the Bologna will continue on the other side. I’m now chuckling to myself, contemplating the meaning of the Bologna, is it a silent protest, does someone think the squirrels eat Bologna, did someone else have a dream of a Bologna lined Pennsylvania Avenue?

As I approach the first box I find out that my hopes of a Bologna lined Pennsylvania Avenue are dashed. All the boxes on the other side of the stands are empty. I start to feel let down; did the Bologna bandit get stopped before the task was complete? Did they not plan well and run out of Bologna? As I find my mind thinking way too much about Bologna based protesting, I smell one of my favorite smells….coffee.

Enough shenanigans time for my Starbucks. Thanks Bologna bandit protester person, even if no one else notices your act of civil disobedience, you will know I did.


Thanks for checking in, God Bless.

No comments: