Monday, December 20, 2010

Excuse me, may I poor this into your cup?

“His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’-Matthew (25:23)

Matthew (24:45-51) tells us that getting ready for Jesus’ return demands us to be faithful in doing the work he has called us to do. This was a warning to all disciples and even more so toward Christian leaders.  I am sure we all can guess why Christian leaders are held to a higher standard in Christ’s eyes. Just look at the backlash we Christians face when our leaders fall and the damage that can be done by leading people astray. Non-believers judge our entire faith based on those failings of a few which I find ironic to say the least.

We are given an opportunity here on earth to multiply what Jesus has entrusted to us. Matthew tells us in Matthew (25:15), that the master gave each according to his ability. Christ knows our abilities but he expects more of us than to just keep our heads down and be good.

24 “Then the man who had received one bag of gold came. ‘Master,’ he said, ‘I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25 So I was afraid and went out and hid your gold in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.’ 26 “His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest. - Matthew (25:24-26)

Jesus promises eternal reward for those who prove worthy of his trust. I think it is reasonable for us to agree that if someone can’t be trusted with what is his own or just a small amount, how could they be trusted with what concerns others or a large amount? I use this story to explain trust with my 16 year old. She wants to be trusted with bigger things such as dating and driving but can’t be trusted with small things like turning her hair straighter off, cleaning her room and our little household rules. I try to explain that trust built with small things leads to trust with big things. None of us are above this rule… some just choose to opt out and settle for giving back what they were given and some just choose to use it up.

This same pattern is mirrored across most anywhere in life if you want to move up and lead. Christ has provided us with endless amounts of Love, Grace and mercy. Imagine a world where people didn’t just receive those gifts from God, but from each other.

May your cup overflow, but more importantly, may you help overflow the cups of others.

Thanks for checking in…

No comments: